I often get asked to evaluate Social Media channels and in particular content. As I do this on a daily basis I appreciate that this can be a daunting task for most, so I wanted to share a few tips to get you on your way before the year ends.
Social sharing is an always on conversation, think viral content distribution.
The latest Nielsen stats tell us that almost 50% of consumers now access social media every day and up to 79% are in the 18-29 age group. To make things even more challenging only 31% of SME businesses actively operate a social media engagement strategy.
So stats are telling us that we are a Social Nation, out of 24M Australians 14M are Facebook users, 13.9M are You Tubing, 92% of people trust the recommendations from people they know, 70% trust consumer opinions posted online. Yet SME’s are still challenged by actively participating across social media. Why you ask? It could be lack of budget, experienced staff, knowledge, and no actual time to develop an effective social content strategy.
It doesn’t have to be a burdensome task, if you start with the basics and allocate 1 hr per week to pre-plan your content it will become easier to manage.
Here are some content tips for you to consider;
- Always pre-plan your content, don’t plan more than 3 months out.
- Identify your Social Success Metric e.g. Likes, Shares, Comments.
- Create a greater focus on personality and authenticity – what does your Business stand for?
- Engage with Social Advocates within your Industry – follow them and learn.
- Reward your customers.
- Never, ever, ever delete a negative post!
- Tailored content is key.
- If you are not sure that people would want to share or recommend your post, don’t post it!
- Know your Call-to-Action e.g. drive sales, engagement, leads, sign ups and mix it up.
- Optimize your Social Media Tags – Be found by search engines, SEO is important.
Remember Always link back to your website!